Digital Nerd

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Media Portal for the PC

The guys that brought out Xbox Media Center have ported the idea to the PC platfrom. http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/ claim that Media Portal turns PC in a very advanced Multi MediaCenter / HTPC. It allows you to listen to your favorite music & radio, watch your video's and DVD's, view, schedule and record live TV and much more. You get Media Portal for free/nothing/nada/noppes and best of all it is opensource. This means anyone can help developing Media Portal or tweak it for their own needs!

Now...I have the Xbox Media Centre version installed on my Xbox and it works very well. The XML file is a little tricky to get going but once you have figured that out it's plain sailing from there. I am sure you are asking why you would need Xbox Media Center when you already have a PC with MCE on it? Well you don't really but... what it does allow me to do is when I am playing Xbox on my projection system, I can quickly finish a game and then I can start watching some saved movies or TV episodes that are stored on a central server that is accessible by both the conventional MCE and the Xbox - and do all this without moving out of my seat. Sure it is not as feature rich as MCE but hey for convenience sake alone it works for me during long Halo 2 sessions broken up with a espisode or 2 of Lost.


As for the PC version of the application, I will stick with MCE (at this stage) as I have a lot invested in the setup and with the 3rd party development that is going on it is too exciting to abandon ship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home