Digital Nerd

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Converting Recorded TV DVR-MS files to Windows Media Format

Via fstop-blues

It’s been a while since I talked about converting your recorded TV DVR-MS files to another format so I thought I would give an update on where I am at. I initially was using the
WmvTranscoder plug-in to translate my DVR-MS files to WMV files but the resolution was only 320 x 240 – good enough for a PocketPC but not a TV set. Mcesoft has a nice write up on how there is a way to choose a higher resolution profile:
After I published the article Stephen Toub send me an email to clarify some issues. With the plug-in a high quality prx file for NTSC is put on the system, but this is not used by default, instead the default WM ASF Writer is used. This default settings will produce a 320x240 wmv file (which btw IS excelent to use on your Pocket PC) To use the high quality prx file you have to set the ProfilePath key in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Toub\WmvTranscoderPlugin to the path of the prx file (typicly C:\Program Files\Toub\WmvTranscoderPlugin\VBR90_NTSC.prx)


Then I found out about the
DVR2WMV plug-in and I’ve been using that ever since. It basically does the same thing but is a more polished program and allows you to select different encoding profiles such as NTSC or PAL. It works as a stand-alone program or inside of the Media Center interface. It is drop dead simple to use and I think it works great – the best program so far out there for converting your DVR-MS files.

If you have a Media Center extender than this is a great way to archive your recorded TV for playback and save some hard drive space. A thirty minute TV show took about an hour to translate at the highest setting available and about 500mb of disk space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home