Digital Nerd

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

More from the Boeing Blog

777 interiors supervisor

When you walk into a 777 and look around, everything you see is the result of the work that my team does. We start from the bottom - carpet, seats, sidewalls, lavs, and galleys. That's what we do, and, for a number of reasons, it was more complicated on WD002, the second 777-200LR Worldliner that was shown off at the Paris Air Show last week and is now on a World Tour.

Teague, our supplier partner, did a beautiful job designing and building the interior, and about 80 percent of the time things fit pretty well. The other 20 percent, of course, kept us on our toes.

Boeing 777-200LR interior installation photo

WD002 interior installation work going on earlier this year.

My favorite part was the section of Airbus seats that we installed as a comparison. They look cramped and uncomfortable next to the Boeing seats and should be a real conversation piece as the airplane visits cities around the world.

The carpet was a big challenge. Normally the carpet comes in 50 or 60 smaller pieces. For this airplane, it came in one big piece and a dozen or so smaller pieces. It was a lot of work, but the finished product made it worthwhile.

When work needed to get done on the weekend, our people - even the ones who usually turn down weekend work - stepped up to do it because it was our signature going on it. They didn't want someone from another shop working on it. We were put behind schedule several times because we were waiting for this to go in or that to go in, but it all came together and it looks beautiful.

It sure is a gorgeous plane inside and out. It really shows everything that Boeing has to offer, and we're proud to be a part of it.

Source here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home